The navy celebrates January 15 as Army Day each and every yr as it used to be on this day that the first Indian typical took cost of the Indian Army. General KM Cariappa (later Field Marshal) took over as the commander-in-chief of the Indian Army in 1949.
The first two chiefs of the army after Independence were British. Cariappa changed the final British commander General Sir Francis Robert Roy Bucher who served in the top position from January 1, 1948 to January 15 1949. Bucher’s predecessor General Sir Robert McGregor Macdonald Lockhart served as the chief from Aug 15, 1947 to December 31.
Cariappa, fondly recognised as Kipper, was once solely 49 when he took cost of the army. He served as army chief for a full 4 years, retiring on January 16, 1953.
During the partition, he played a key position in achieving an amicable settlement for the division of the military between India and Pakistan. He used to be then a member of the navy sub-committee of the Forces Reconstitution Committee.
He was once multiplied to the five-star rank of Field Marshal in April 1986, in focus of his distinct army service. Only three navy officers have held the five-star rank: Cariappa, Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh and Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.
1. The Army Day parade, held at the Parade Ground in Delhi Cantonment, is one of the chief highlights of the celebrations. The navy chief takes the salute and inspects the parade led by means of the General Officer Commanding, HQs Delhi Area. The different two carrier chiefs additionally attend the parade every yr and take salute. This parade is additionally a phase of the Republic Day parade.
2. Apart from the three service chiefs, India’s first chief of defence team of workers General Bipin Rawat will additionally attend the parade this yr and take salute. Rawat took cost as CDS on December 31. He heads the department of army affairs and is also the principal navy adviser to the defence minister on all matters related to the tri-services.
3. The parade floor is one of the largest such grounds in Delhi. It was named after Cariappa in December 2016 in honour of the Field Marshal. The Cariappa Parade Ground hosts a number of ceremonial events each year, with the Army Day parade topping the list.
4. The navy chief offers away gallantry awards to soldiers and unit citations to one-of-a-kind battalions for amazing and sustained overall performance for the duration of operations and additionally peace time.
5. On Wednesday, 15 troopers will be adorned with gallantry awards while 18 battalions will get unit citations.
6. Recipients of Param Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra (the absolute best wartime and peacetime gallantry awards, respectively) take part in the Army Day parade each year.
7. The military hardware to be showcased at Wednesday’s parade includes infantry fight automobile BMP-2K, K9 Vajra-T artillery guns, domestically constructed Dhanush towed guns, T-90 important fighting tanks and the short span bridging system.
8. The parade will consist of 18 specific contingents and will additionally characteristic a combat display in which troopers simulate motion in enemy territory.
9. A girl officer will be the Parade Adjutant for the first time in the history of the parade. A fourth era soldier, Captain Taniya Shergil was once commissioned into the Corps of Signals two years ago. The parade adjutant plays an essential role in directing and conducting the parade.
10.The navy chief hosts a normal reception at his reliable residence on Rajaji Marg as part of the celebrations. The reception or ‘at home’ is attended by the President, the Prime Minister, cupboard ministers, pinnacle officers of the armed forces, former navy chiefs and defence attaches of foreign countries posted in Delhi.