ECB will now keep an eye on players' social media accounts, will take action on objectionable posts

ECB will now keep an eye on players' social media accounts, will take action on objectionable posts

LONDON: The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will review the media accounts of its players, which could lead to disciplinary sanctions on players for their objectionable posts. The ECB had earlier suspended fast bowler Olly Robinson over the racist tweets he made in 2012-13. The tweet surfaced during his England debut in the drawn first Test against New Zealand at Lord's last week, sparking an uproar and rekindling the debate over racism in the game.

The player has been suspended pending investigation as the ECB is investigating another player's objectionable tweet. The ECB said in a statement that the board agreed to the executive's recommendation for a social media review that would address any chronic issues, reminding players of their individual responsibilities further and helping them learn lessons as well. A meeting of the ECB board was held on Wednesday. 

The ECB said in a statement that the Board was clear that this procedure would not save from further disciplinary action in the future, if it were warranted, but expressed hope that the game could emerge from this difficult time firmly. Administrators, players, coaches and professional cricketers' associations will all be involved in this review. ECB President Ian Whatmore reiterated the Board's commitment to diversity and inclusivity.

He said making cricket everyone's game is central to the strategy of the game's 'inspiring generation'. As a national governing body, we must find a middle ground to help project an image, educate them about what is expected of them and give them the space to express themselves publicly. Whatmore said, "We should also investigate their actions and punish them if they fail to do so."


Isolation rules frustrating, vaccination must be relied upon: Shastri

Isolation rules frustrating, vaccination must be relied upon: Shastri

Durham: India head coach Ravi Shastri on Saturday expressed dismay at the 10-day isolation rule for anyone who came in contact with a COVID-19 positive person as India's bowling coach Bharat Arun was asked to complete the vaccination. Despite this, he had to part ways. As per UK health regulations, Arun, senior wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha and stand-by opener Abhimanyu Easwaran will have to be in isolation for 10 days as they came in contact with throwdown specialist cum masseur Dayanand Garani. 

The trio returned to the team's biologically safe environment on Saturday after completing a one-and-a-half-week mandatory isolation. Despite being found negative in the RT-PCR test, all three had to be isolated. Shastri posted a selfie with his close friend and bowling coach Arun, writing that my right hand is back.

Despite being found negative, after spending 10 days in isolation, feeling more fit and strong. These isolating rules are quite frustrating. Two vaccines given during vaccination should be relied upon. Saha recovered from Kovid in May after being infected with the virus while playing for Sunrisers Hyderabad during the Indian Premier League. The IPL was postponed after several cases of corona virus were detected in a biologically safe environment.