UP MLA Aman Mani Tripathi gets bail in lockdown violation case, quarantined

UP MLA Aman Mani Tripathi gets bail in lockdown violation case, quarantined

An Uttar Pradesh court on Tuesday granted bail to Independent MLA Aman Mani Tripathi and 7 of his associates who were arrested for allegedly violating lockdown guidelines.

The MLA from Nautanwa in Maharajganj district and 12 of his associates were arrested in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, on Sunday night and subsequently excuse on bail, officials had said.

Tripathi was coming back from Uttarakhand with seven of his associates when he was arrested in Najibabad area of Bijnor district on Monday night, Additional Superintendent of Police Laxmi Niwas Mishra told PTI.

"On Tuesday, an area court granted them bail. But, since Bijnor falls within the red zone, the MLA and his associates are sent to a quarantine centre for 14 days," the officer said.

The court directed that they be released on furnishing sureties of Rs 20,000 each.

Superintendent of Police of Bijnor Sanjeev Tyagi said the MLA and his associates had been quarantined at the Chaand banquet hall in Najibabad.

Speaking to reporters at the court premises, Tripathi said, "I had the pass of the Uttarakhand government and it had been mentioned that we were getting to participate within the post-death rituals of father of UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath."

"Going to Badrinath and Kedarnath was also mentioned within the pass. But, the administration had some misconception," the MLA said.

Adityanath's father Anand Singh Bisht had died at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in Delhi on April 20.

On Sunday, a convoy of three cars carrying Tripathi and his associates was first intercepted by the police in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district on thanks to Badrinath, but the MLA produced a letter of permission purportedly issued by authorities in Dehradun and moved on.

They were stopped again at a barrier in Karnaprayag by the police and administrative officials, who told them that the portals of Badrinath were scheduled to open on May 15 and there was no point in letting them go now, a politician had said.

The MLA got angry and argued with officials, but they didn't relent and made the convoy to return, the officials said.

They were intercepted again at the Vyasi police outpost in Rishikesh as there have been quite three persons in each car and every one without masks in violation of lockdown curbs, a politician had said.

A case was registered against them under several sections of the Indian legal code , Epidemic Diseases Act, and therefore the Disaster Management Act, and were arrested. However, they were excuse subsequently on personal bail bonds and allowed to go away for Uttar Pradesh .

The Uttar Pradesh government had on Monday sought to distance itself from the incident, saying the Independent MLA wasn't authorised to go to Uttarakhand during the lockdown.